The WHO says the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, but countries sharing borders with the DRC are atThe WHO says the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, but countries sharing borders with the DRC are at

80 suspected Ebola deaths: WHO declares emergency over Congo, Uganda outbreak

2026/05/18 07:59
Okuma süresi: 4 dk
Bu içerikle ilgili geri bildirim veya endişeleriniz için lütfen crypto.news@mexc.com üzerinden bizimle iletişime geçin.

GENEVA, Switzerland – At least 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed Ebola cases, and 246 suspected infections had been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ituri province, while one case was also confirmed in the eastern city of Goma, the World Health Organization said on Sunday, May 17.

A number of Americans in the DRC are believed to have been exposed to suspected cases in the country, with several exposures deemed high risk, including one that may have developed symptoms, STAT News reported. Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

The Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda prompted the WHO to declare a public health emergency of international concern.

The WHO said the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, but countries sharing land borders with the DRC are at high risk of further spread.

The cases were reported across at least three health zones in Ituri province, including Bunia, Rwampara, and Mongbwalu, the UN health agency said.

Officials from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters on Sunday the agency has activated its emergency response center for the outbreak and plans to send more people to its offices in the DRC and Uganda. Satish Pillai, CDC Ebola response incident manager, declined to say whether any Americans were among those infected but stressed that the risk to the US remains low.

International spread documented

The DRC health ministry had said on Friday, May15, that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province.

The 17th outbreak in the country, where Ebola was first identified in 1976, could in fact be much larger, given the high positivity rate of the initial samples and the increasing number of suspected cases being reported, the WHO said.

The outbreak is “extraordinary” as there are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike for Ebola-Zaire strains, it said. All but one of the country’s previous outbreaks were caused by the Zaire strain.

The DRC-Uganda outbreak poses a public health risk to other countries, with some cases of international spread already documented, the agency said, advising countries to activate their national disaster and emergency-management mechanisms and undertake cross-border screening and screening on major internal roads.

In Uganda’s capital, Kampala, two apparently unrelated laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were reported on Friday and Saturday from people traveling from the DRC, the WHO said.

The WHO said on Sunday that a previously reported laboratory-confirmed case in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, had tested negative after secondary testing was conducted.

Bundibugyo virus disease contacts or cases should not travel internationally unless as part of a medical evacuation, the WHO said.

The agency advised immediately isolating confirmed cases and monitoring contacts daily, with restricted national travel and no international travel until 21 days after exposure.

At the same time, the WHO urged countries not to close their borders or restrict travel and trade out of fear, as this could lead to people and goods making informal border crossings that are not monitored.

The DRC’s dense tropical forests are a natural reservoir for the Ebola virus.

Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement that he had requested technical guidance and recommendations on the potential need to declare the outbreak a public health emergency of continental security.

The often-fatal virus, which causes fever, body aches, vomiting, and diarrhea, spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons, contaminated materials, or people who have died from the disease, according to the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. – Rappler.com

Piyasa Fırsatı
Notcoin Logosu
Notcoin Fiyatı(NOT)
$0.0004837
$0.0004837$0.0004837
-4.38%
USD
Notcoin (NOT) Canlı Fiyat Grafiği
Sorumluluk Reddi: Bu sitede yeniden yayınlanan makaleler, halka açık platformlardan alınmıştır ve yalnızca bilgilendirme amaçlıdır. MEXC'nin görüşlerini yansıtmayabilir. Tüm hakları telif sahiplerine aittir. Herhangi bir içeriğin üçüncü taraf haklarını ihlal ettiğini düşünüyorsanız, kaldırılması için lütfen crypto.news@mexc.com ile iletişime geçin. MEXC, içeriğin doğruluğu, eksiksizliği veya güncelliği konusunda hiçbir garanti vermez ve sağlanan bilgilere dayalı olarak alınan herhangi bir eylemden sorumlu değildir. İçerik, finansal, yasal veya diğer profesyonel tavsiye niteliğinde değildir ve MEXC tarafından bir tavsiye veya onay olarak değerlendirilmemelidir.

Ayrıca Şunları da Beğenebilirsiniz

PMI-ACP Exam Preparation: How to Use a Simulator and Practice Questions Effectively

PMI-ACP Exam Preparation: How to Use a Simulator and Practice Questions Effectively

Understanding the PMI-ACP Exam Structure The PMI-ACP exam is designed to evaluate how well candidates apply agile principles in real-world project environments
Paylaş
Techbullion2026/04/02 18:32
Kelp DAO to Halt rsETH Bridging on 20 Networks After June 15

Kelp DAO to Halt rsETH Bridging on 20 Networks After June 15

BitcoinWorld Kelp DAO to Halt rsETH Bridging on 20 Networks After June 15 Kelp DAO, the liquid restaking protocol previously impacted by a $292 million security
Paylaş
Bitcoin World2026/05/18 10:05
Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC

Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC

The post Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Franklin Templeton CEO Jenny Johnson has weighed in on whether the Federal Reserve should make a 25 basis points (bps) Fed rate cut or 50 bps cut. This comes ahead of the Fed decision today at today’s FOMC meeting, with the market pricing in a 25 bps cut. Bitcoin and the broader crypto market are currently trading flat ahead of the rate cut decision. Franklin Templeton CEO Weighs In On Potential FOMC Decision In a CNBC interview, Jenny Johnson said that she expects the Fed to make a 25 bps cut today instead of a 50 bps cut. She acknowledged the jobs data, which suggested that the labor market is weakening. However, she noted that this data is backward-looking, indicating that it doesn’t show the current state of the economy. She alluded to the wage growth, which she remarked is an indication of a robust labor market. She added that retail sales are up and that consumers are still spending, despite inflation being sticky at 3%, which makes a case for why the FOMC should opt against a 50-basis-point Fed rate cut. In line with this, the Franklin Templeton CEO said that she would go with a 25 bps rate cut if she were Jerome Powell. She remarked that the Fed still has the October and December FOMC meetings to make further cuts if the incoming data warrants it. Johnson also asserted that the data show a robust economy. However, she noted that there can’t be an argument for no Fed rate cut since Powell already signaled at Jackson Hole that they were likely to lower interest rates at this meeting due to concerns over a weakening labor market. Notably, her comment comes as experts argue for both sides on why the Fed should make a 25 bps cut or…
Paylaş
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 00:36

No Chart Skills? Still Profit

No Chart Skills? Still ProfitNo Chart Skills? Still Profit

Copy top traders in 3s with auto trading!